2008-11-08

Superheroes and Presidents

Quite often, when I meet a new class, they ask where I'm from. Usually they do this by randomly calling out the names of a few English-speaking countries, so that I prompt them to ask, "Where are you from?" Yesterday, when I replied, "I'm from America," all of the boys in the class immediately began singing, "La la la la O-ba-ma. La la la la O-ba-ma. La la la la la la la la O-ba-ma. Obama is beautiful world." I might have been confused had my good friend Katie not alerted me to the town in Japan called Obama, which the Japanese have used to support our new president in an undeniably Japanese way. Here is the music video for Any Brother's Band's "Obama is Beautiful World." Quite nice.


I recently set up my Japanese bank account. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't learned nearly enough Japanese to accomplish this task on my own, so I went to the International Affairs Center at the Civic Center where there are loads of helpful people who speak English and Japanese. They called the bank and warned them that a blonde girl who won't understand them was coming. I was armed with a post-it note that I was told said (in Japanese), "I want to open a bank account." It was a strange moment. I felt like a small child completing a task she didn't really understand. The people at the bank were kind and patient, especially when it came to putting the sounds of my name into Japanese characters. My bank card reads "Dahna Shitersen," but it'll do. My bank has a superhero mascot, Mighty Atom. I even got a cute little packet of tissues to carry around to remind me that my money is being protected by a small child wearing only underwear and rocket boots. 



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. i can only imagine what it's like trusting someone you can't understand with your money.

i haven't kept up reading this blog too well until today and now i'm reading them all. i really do think of you both often. i hope you have been making some friends and hopefully know a few people that speak english.

love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow indeed! Language is such an interesting barrier. Whenever I've been in situations where spoken language didn't work too well it seems like I always immediately resort to basic hand and body gestures. It feels so strange but I think it's cool at the same time.

However, being immersed in a totally foreign area with language being only one of many differences must be very intense.

But you can rest well because your bank child robot friend is none other then Tetsuwan Atom, better known as "Astro Boy" these days. You're in good hands indeed if he guards your cash. A super robot with rockets, lasers, flight, super hearing, super eye sight, AND a soul. He's been around since 1951!

Hope you both are well :) Miss you two!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday Dustin!!!


Love-
Tracey, Tanner and Obachan

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, did you get a package? I don't know about a kid in his underwear with rocket boots guarding your hard earned errr what ever they call it in Japan "Okane"? I have an image of Tanner in his batman underwear with a pair of boots on throwing my change from my change jug all over the place and la la la la la Obama says it all. Love Dad

Gillian said...

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this post! Let me assure you, there were tears involved. I'm glad to hear your hard earned cash is being protected by a child superhero in his super undies...who needs FDIC when you've got rocket boots on your side?
I think of you and Dustin often! Hope you are well!

love ya!
G

Dana said...

Thank you everyone for reading our blog. Sorry we haven't written more faithfully. I'll post again soon.

Yes, we did get a package! Thank you SO much it. We had our own little Thanksgiving. All of the cards were so nice, too. Now we can call you sometime soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that tissues are a big thing to hand out. They seem to primp and spoil their customers...or maybe its just Americans?..

I hope the weather doesn't stay too cold for too long. I bet Japan is so beautiful in the spring time. The green screen pictures are fantastico.